Puffin Dive Centre recommended Safety Guidelines for Paddle-boarding activities:
- Wear a Personal Flotation Device (min 50nm)
- Always wear the leash – If you fall off you will want to get back on!
- Standing up – we recommend you start by kneeling until you have become familiar with the stability and movement of the board. Do not stand when in shallow waters or next to hard objects (e.g. pontoons or boats)
- Children under the age of 18 must always be accompanied and supervised by an adult or guide when on the water
- Children under the age of 12 we recommend the board is shared with an adult unless already certified.
- Minimum recommended age is 10
- Tell people on land – before setting off make sure you have notified someone on the shore where you are going and when you are expected back. Puffin Dive Centre recommend the use of the RYA Safetrx app which can be installed on your smartphone. Waterproof phone holders can be hired with the SUP.
- Take a mobile phone – as a minimum or VHF radio should be used when hiring PDC boards. Waterproof phone holders can be hired with the SUP.
- Take adequate clothing – A drybag with warm layers should be considered when taking longer trips out.
- Plan your journey – be realistic and account for weather and tide. Never paddle in the dark.
- Plan for tides – Be aware of tide times and strengths – ask for advice if unsure
- Paddle in pairs – We recommend always SUPing in pairs
- Think the unexpected – Longer trip? Torch, strobe, emergency blanket, Epirb, food and water are all small items that can easily travel with you in a drybag on your board – ask us for more information.
- Personal Insurance – personal insurance for outdoor activities is always advised.